Novato Service Area Drought Guide
On April 20, our Board amended Ordinance 41 calling on customers to reduce water use by 20% compared to the same period last year through voluntary (Stage 1) measures until June 30 followed by mandatory (Stage 2) measures from July 1 through November 1. These percent reductions will be based on the Novato Service area as a whole and are not an individual ration of your water use. Reductions can be achieved by eliminating water waste and non-essential usage, and by reducing water applied to landscaped areas.
A drought surcharge of $1 per 1000 gallons (over 300 gallons per day) will be in effect during the four month Stage 2 period (July through October). Residential customers using less than 300 gallons per day have already met the conservation target and would not be subject to the drought surcharge.
Novato Service Area (Ordinance No. 41)
Full Ordinance: Emergency Water Conservation Ordinance 41 (PDF file)
Summary of Drought Prohibitions for Novato Service Area:
- Gutter flooding (unreasonable irrigation overspray or irrigation run-off onto pavement, down a gutter, ditch or other drain.
- Failure to repair a controllable leak of water within a reasonable time.
- Washing privately-owned motor vehicles, trailers and boats except from a bucket and hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle for a quick rinse.
- Washing down exterior paved areas.
- Re-filling an existing pool drained after July 1, 2021 or initial filling of a new pool after July 1, 2021.
While we’re working to reduce overall water usage, residents do have options when it comes to garden watering. From July 1, 2021 to November 1, 2021 watering of any landscaping is allowed when using hand held hose, drip irrigation system, or a container (e.g. a watering can) with the following exceptions:
- Overhead/above ground irrigation is allowed 3 days/week:
- Odd numbered addresses can irrigate on: Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- Even numbered addresses can irrigate on: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday • Overhead/ above ground irrigation is only allowed during the hours of 7pm to 9am.
- Customers using more than 300 gallons per day who wish to use overhead/above ground irrigation must maintain a 20% reduction in water use compared to 2020. Unsure if you meet the 20% reduction requirement or use less than 300 gallons per day? Check your WaterSmart Portal at https://nmwd.com/account/watersmart/
*This list serves only a summary of the water use prohibitions in Emergency Water Conservation Ordinance 41. For the full text of the prohibitions, please click on the Ordinance link above.
Summary of Prohibitions: Click here to view or download the summary of prohibitions as a PDF file.
For all customer questions and comments regarding the 2021 drought water use prohibitions or to report a violation, please contact the District’s Water Conservation Hotline at (415) 761-8944 or email at email@example.com.